was built in 1937 by John W. Gates assisted by family and hired carpenters. Constructed as a dairy barn, the upper floor was used to store loose hay. The hay was lifted in rope slings to an iron track that still runs the length of the barn at the highest point inside the roof. It was built from local fir lumber and originally roofed with local cedar shingles. There were three horse stalls and a feed room. Two silos stood at the southeast corner. The similar shaped milk house was constructed in 1938 to accommodate cooling and storage of milk sold to several different processors, the last being the Dairy Co-op which marketed Mayflower milk.
In October 1897 John W. Gates and wife Minnie Gordon bought 87 acres of the Jacob Wooley Donation Land Claim. Added to over the years, the farm was named an Oregon Century Farm in 2000. The fields to the south and west of the barn have been farmed subsequently by John W. Gates, Jr., J. Wesley Gates and now by Spencer Gates and his daughter Ally Gates.
The quilt block design located on the east side of the barn is called "Grandmother's Fan" and was used in a 1932 quilt made by Minnie Gordon Gates. The Quilt Barn Trail of Washington County is a project of Westside Quilters Guild, located in Hillsboro. Our block was the second block installed. As of November 2018, there are 58 quilt barn blocks installed.